North Queensland Cowboys snare Jordan McLean from Melbourne Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
estormboy
Squall
Squall

Postby estormboy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:24 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/north-queensland-cowboys-snare-jordan-mclean-from-melbourne-storm-20170320-gv1w8m.html

North Queensland have added much-needed forward depth by signing Melbourne prop Jordan McLean on a three-year NRL deal.

With co-captain Matt Scott's future up in the air, the Cowboys have snapped up the highly rated 25-year-old from 2018.

Off-contract Scott has been linked to a lucrative Newcastle deal from next year.

He is also mulling over a Cowboys offer while recovering from a season-ending knee injury.

McLean's signature will provide some insurance for the Cowboys which are reeling from the loss of Test prop James Tamou's defection to Penrith and Ben Hannant's retirement this year.

The 196cm, 115kg McLean - in his fifth NRL season with Melbourne - has signed until at the least the end of 2020.

"Jordan's a wonderful young player who's come through a very good developmental pathways system at Melbourne, so we know that we'll be getting both a quality player and a quality person," Cowboys football manager Peter Parr said.

"We have always said we would look to add to our roster in that front row position and we're thrilled Jordan has agreed to terms from 2018 onwards."

McLean has played 69 games since his 2013 debut, including 21 last season.

He said it was a difficult decision after Melbourne stood by him through some tough times.

McLean was suspended for seven weeks for a 2014 dangerous throw that left Newcastle's Alex McKinnon with spinal damage.

"The Storm has been tremendous for me in terms of my development as a player and as a person," McLean said.

"They've stood by me and (coach) Craig Bellamy and his staff have helped me improve my game.

"Craig handed me my NRL debut and that's something I'll treasure always."

McLean was impressive in Melbourne's 14-12 last round win over Brisbane, amassing 117m.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Re: North Queensland Cowboys snare Jordan McLean from Melbourne Storm

Postby yourhero » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:41 pm

8 years in our system being cultivated, pruned, supported. The tree finally starts to bear fruit and it uproots itself and leaves... Ahhh, professional sports hey.

RobbieRoss
Squall
Squall

Postby RobbieRoss » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:51 pm

So frustrating. That is just the way it is, but being a supporter is about emotional investment over a long period of time, and that is hard when the players have a different set of values.

The hardest part is that it is announced while the season is still going. At least in the AFL one can enjoy the fiction during the season that all players will stay with the team forever . No moves allowed until end of season. Having followed an AFL team for over 50 years, and the Storm since inception, I think the AFL approach is a lot easier to handle from an emotional perspective.

This is not a criticism of Jordan - it is what it is. I hope he goes out as a premiership player for our team this season.

Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby Scooter » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Jordan McLean has been cherrypicked by the Cowboys.

LESStar58
Monsoon
Monsoon

Postby LESStar58 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Good luck to him, I say. He's a ready made replacement for James Tamou.

Just need to send him off with a ring now.

Bullucked
Squall
Squall

Postby Bullucked » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 pm

He just needs to carry us all the way this year and then fade into obscurity.

The AFL system has its merits but it does not have to compete with other codes and competitions that don't respect fans wishes (except when we're pinching someone, didn't MK5 come mid season?)

sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby sallymay » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 pm

Sigh....moving on now

bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Postby bula » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:39 am

Bullucked wrote:He just needs to carry us all the way this year and then fade into obscurity.

The AFL system has its merits but it does not have to compete with other codes and competitions that don't respect fans wishes (except when we're pinching someone, didn't MK5 come mid season?)

To be fair Marika was stuck in reserve grade for a 50 year old Pat Richards.
Can't believe they let JAC go too but it's what the Tigers do, it's their thing.

Can't think of any player coming to Melbourne in the same situation as what usually happens to us.

Danger D
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby Danger D » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:05 am

Glen Lazarus came to us for big money from Brisbane. Mick Crocker was an established first-grader at the Roosters before his Storm days. Anthony Quinn had played 100+ games for Newcastle before playing another 100 with us. Dale Finucane came to us after 5 years of development at the Bulldogs.

RobbieRoss
Squall
Squall

Postby RobbieRoss » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:32 pm

True enough, Danger D , but those 4 lads might be outplayed by the following team made up of players who made their name with us before moving on to other clubs. Some of them came from other clubs , but as rejects. None left as rejects.

1. G Inglis
2. I Folau/ S Waqa
3. M King
4. S Bell/ D Nielsen
5. S Turner / M Koroibete
6. G Widdop
7. M Orford/ B Kimmorley
8. A Blair
9 R Swain
10 B White / A Kaufusi
11. K Proctor
12. R Hoffman
13 D Johnson/J Smith

There are undoubtedly many more.

For years in the AFL Sydney was given an extra allowance under their salary cap , ostensibly cost of living but in fact to allow them to build a strong club in a new frontier. GWS got even more. If the NRL were run under the AFL model, with Bellamy coaching , we would have won many, many premierships( and retained them ) What Chris Anderson and John Ribot achieved, and now what Craig and co continue to achieve, is truly amazing.

Danger D
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Postby Danger D » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:14 pm

That's an impressive team no doubt, but I'm fairly sure there would be other clubs who could make similar teams. While I generally agree with the sentiment that we don't routinely poach big name players (like the Broncos for example), I also think we're better off than some other clubs who have great development programs (like the Raiders and Newcastle) who find it harder to retain players because of where they are located geographically and the inability to offer players third-party payments.

Bullucked
Squall
Squall

Postby Bullucked » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:54 pm

RobbieRoss wrote:True enough, Danger D , but those 4 lads might be outplayed by the following team made up of players who made their name with us before moving on to other clubs. Some of them came from other clubs , but as rejects. None left as rejects.

1. G Inglis
2. I Folau/ S Waqa
3. M King
4. S Bell/ D Nielsen
5. S Turner / M Koroibete
6. G Widdop
7. M Orford/ B Kimmorley
8. A Blair
9 R Swain
10 B White / A Kaufusi
11. K Proctor
12. R Hoffman
13 D Johnson/J Smith

Of this list how many went on to be as good or better players than when they were in Melbourne? I'd reckon only GI and GW and probably JS.
You look a whole lot better when you're part of a champion team rather than trying to be the champion in your new team.
You do what makes you happy (as we all do) whatever your motivation is.
Easy come easy go and good luck to them all.

Return to “Melbourne Storm”